Window Cleaning: A Clear View for Building Tenants
Frequency of Window Cleaning – A Guide for Property Managers
All property managers have big jobs. No matter how large or how small the portfolio they manage, property managers are the eyes and ears of their buildings. Every detail—from the inside out—is in the property manager’s command, and this brief article is here to help focus on one detail out of the property manager’s ever-growing to-do list: window cleaning. How often does a building’s windows need to be cleaned? What is the recommended frequency of window cleaning, so the tenants can have clear views and the building owners and property managers can be happy? Let’s examine.
Property managers need to understand that not cleaning the windows of the properties they manage can have negative effects on the overall lifespan of commercial windows. Here is the 411 on that: having your commercial windows cleaned annually plays a major role in the lifespan of your window glass. Over time, dirt and debris in the atmosphere collect on your windows, which can cause a loss in transparency and make the glass itself more fragile. Clean windows prevent window frames from weathering, which can also decrease the lifespan of the window. Clean windows allow more natural light into your workspace, reducing the amount of overhead lights needed, potentially lowering electric bills. It’s also important to keep in mind the credibility of your business; clean windows make a difference in how customers perceive your organization.
What Property Managers Should Consider Before Scheduling Window Cleaning Services
General guidelines for cleaning commercial windows:
- Office buildings – Twice a year (at least)
- High-traffic retail stores – Every two to four weeks
- Healthcare facilities – Every four weeks
- Low-traffic offices/retail shops – Every four to eight weeks
- Office building lobby windows – Every four to eight weeks
These are just recommended guidelines and a great starting point. But there are many factors for property managers to consider when deciding how often to clean their commercial windows. Here are four factors to consider:
- Type of business – Office buildings need to be cleaned less frequently than some of the aforementioned businesses in order to maintain a clean and professional look.
- Location of business – Businesses located near busy streets or highways get dirty faster and may need to be cleaned more frequently.
- Season and weather – During spring, we often experience heavier rain and pollen from blooming flowers. The rain and particles in the air leave mineral deposits on window glass which can deplete your window’s lifespan. To maintain the appearance and quality of your windows, be sure to clean them often.
- Landscaping – Landscaping can play an important role in how often windows are cleaned. If your building is near a parking lot surrounded by mulch beds, you may need to have your windows cleaned more frequently because of the debris that surrounds the landscape.
Schedule Window Cleaning in MD, DC & Northern VA
In conclusion, the best piece of advice for property managers in determining the frequency of window cleaning and to ensure that your commercial windows last as long as possible is to hire a professional window cleaning company. Professional window cleaners always place safety first and foremost and will build a window cleaning maintenance program tailored to meet the needs of your individual property. Make sure that, when hiring a professional window cleaning contractor, they are members in good standing of the IWCA (International Window Cleaners Association) and work closely with all of the local property management associations. Lastly, talk to other property managers; word of mouth and a personal recommendation can’t be beat!
To learn more about our commercial exterior maintenance services or schedule window cleaning at your business in Maryland, DC, or Northern Virginia, contact us online or call (301) 258-9750 today!