How to Keep Birds Away from Commercial Buildings
The odds are pretty high that a scarecrow or two isn’t going to get the job done. So what do you do about stopping birds from making a roost of your commercial building? Follow along with the structural service experts at KEVCO to find out!
Why Does Bird Proofing Matter?
Why bother in the first place? Birds are not only a general nuisance, being quite noisy, they also bring with them a lot of additional problems. Droppings present an aesthetic issue and can do considerable harm to many or most materials, which is a very large factor to consider. But more importantly, they can impact the health of employees and clients.
Birds have been shown to carry a wide array of diseases, and in addition they can actually create fire hazards by building nests in areas exposed to electrical wiring, hot bulbs, or HVAC equipment. For all of the above reasons and more, it’s pretty wise to implement a bird prevention plan. Usually doing so is very cost-efficient, and the process can and should be handled in two ways.
Long-Term Prevention Methods
The ideal method of handling birds and keeping them well away from your business is to seek long-term prevention via bird-proofing products. There are quite a few options that have been developed. You can choose from:
- Bird netting. Netting crease an area of no-access for birds, completely blocking them from gaining entry into the installed area. These are typically utilized in tandem with other bird-proof options and are excellent for covering exposed warehouses, outdoor eating areas, and other outdoor semi-enclosed spaces.
- Bird deterrent spikes. Blunted stainless-steel spikes installed in strips along rooftops, window areas, and other common bird roosts prevents them from landing and thus denies them the ability to hole up and settle in. The spikes aren’t typically dangerous to the birds, either, so you needn’t worry about actually harming the birds. Just making them grumpy so they’ll leave your business alone!
- Shock wire. Electrified strips installed in common landing areas are exceptionally efficient and effective. These strips deliver a gentle but firm jolt to birds attempting to land, leaving them unharmed but very disinterested in your building.
Simple Steps to Take to Bird-Proof Your Building
There are also a few things you can do on your end to mitigate birds and make your business a less attractive place to make home. Be sure to:
- Discourage feeding them. Everyone likes a free meal, but the only thing that tends to stick around more than a cat might be birds. If yours is a considerable bird issue it’s probably worth putting up signs discouraging employees and clients from feeding local birds near your business.
- Keep adequate waste removal in place. Trash and leavings can encourage birds, giving them materials for making nesting and possible food as well. Ensure trash cans are available and clearly visible around your business to discourage things.
Bird-Proofing for Commercial Businesses in MD, VA & DC
Looking for service experts with the skill, knowledge, and access to superior products you need in order to rid yourself of your bird problems once and for all? Look no further! KEVCO is glad to offer leading bird-proof products like StealthNet, shock flex wire, and many more options as well. Contact us today to discuss your specific bird-proofing needs!