Must Read: Exterior Home Maintenance Tips
Think about this—in your lifetime, probably the single largest investment you will have is purchasing your home. With such an investment comes great responsibility. Aside from making your mortgage payments, you need to make sure that you are keeping your home in tip top form. All homes, large and small require time, labor, and money devoted to taking care of your home, inside and out. Just like a car requires regular oil changes to keep your car engine happy and healthy, keeping up with regular home maintenance tasks will keep you from future headaches, wasted money, and will ultimately keep your home one that you and all of your neighbors will admire.
Create a Home Maintenance Schedule
It can be intimidating to think about these various tasks, especially if you’re a new homeowner. It’s a long list—there’s no denying that. The good news is that you can do the majority of it on your own without much experience. Google is your best friend, and if you really get stuck, call up your local professional like KEVCO Building Services.
In order to maximize your efficiency and actually get all of these tasks done, you might want to create a home maintenance calendar for yourself. Whether online or on paper, you can jot down small, regular tasks for each weekend and not be too overwhelmed. Ultimately, you have to make a list that works for you and your schedule and as long as these items get accomplished, you and your home will be happy for years to come.
East Coast Home Maintenance Schedule
Being on the East Coast, we like to use a seasonal East Coast Home Maintenance Calendar, but of course, you are not stuck to that.
Fall is an in-between season where you’re finishing up your summer home maintenance tasks as well as getting your home ready for winter. Cold, snow, and rain can do a number to a home, so you don’t want to ignore winter preparation.
- Clean & flush all gutters & downspouts – Nothing can protect the interior of your homes like cleaning out your gutters. If gutters back up, they can cause leaks inside of your home and damage drywall as a result. Call your local gutter cleaning company or many window cleaning companies will also clean and flush out gutters.
- Schedule window cleaning – Getting your windows cleaned and your screens cleaned make a world of difference when looking from the inside to the outside.
- Get your heating system ready for winter – Check for any leaks in windows or doors; these can cost an arm and a leg. Make sure heating vents are open and not blocked by furniture. Get furnace serviced/inspected at least every other year, preferably annually. As with your air conditioner, this shouldn’t be a huge expense.
- Turn off & flush outdoor water faucets – Also flush hoses and store them. Winterize sprinkler systems as well, if you have one.
- Get your chimney cleaned – Some folks say to do this in the spring, some say fall. Either way, just make sure it’s done once per year.
- Check driveway/pavement for cracks – Make sure to have re-sealed before winter; water can freeze and expand in the cracks, causing more damage.
Spring is a big month for home maintenance. They don’t call it “Spring Cleaning” for nothing. Especially focus on the exterior of your home as it’s just gone through winter and is preparing for summer heat, and in some parts of the country, brutal humidity. The spring/summer season is just an all-around great time for home maintenance.
- Call for pressure cleaning/pressure washing – There are so many areas of your home that would benefit from these services. Pressure cleaning or pressure washing driveways, sidewalks, patios, fences, decks, pool decks, and vinyl siding are just a few. When these surfaces appear to have little black dots or green on them, those are mold spores and with some light pressure cleaning performed by a professional who knows what they are doing and to minimize any mishaps, your home will sparkle and shine and be ready for all of your guest that will surely visit in the beautiful weather.
- Schedule window cleaning/gutter cleaning – These two home exterior maintenance items are listed together as often window cleaning companies perform both of these services. These spring cleaning items are the perfect way to bring in the sunshine of the spring season!
Call KEVCO to Schedule Residential Exterior Services
Protect you investment with these maintenance items. Performing these services on a regular seasonal type of schedule with guarantee that you will have you home looking in tip top shape for years and years to come—and who doesn’t want to be the envy of the neighborhood?
For residential exterior cleaning services throughout the DC Metro area, including Maryland and Northern Virginia, contact KEVCO!
Serving Washington DC Metro, Northern Virginia, Baltimore, and Maryland areas, including, Chevy Chase, Olney, Potomac, Bethesda, Rockville, Gaithersburg, Germantown, and beyond.